Sign in to follow this  
mitzu

Better Bug Reports management

Better Bug Reports management

Hello,

I would like to suggest to have a better Bug Reports management of the forums. 

I think this would make developers life easier and would benefit us all.

Example:

- When a new version is launched, move all existing bug reports to Archive.

- Put a default [latestVersion] text in the topics started after a new version was launched.

- Ignore -> close -> move all topics where users don't use the latest version.

- If possible, edit the initial post to include as more information as possible.

- Close duplicated topics with links to already opened issues.

- If initial post doesn't contain info to carry on with investigation, first ask the poster, if he doesn't reply in 48h, close the topic.

This would make real bugs stand out from the "... it's not working. help me" kind of topics.

No matter what we do or make, 99% of the reports will get ignored.

If you look at the current section, every single topic is "mybot does not work", "my emulator does not work", "this or that does not work" and then there is absolutely no details or any other requirements posted. Maybe a couple of lines from the bot log windows and that's all.

Wanna know what developers do when they see topic like that? Mark it read and move on, gets ignored. The logs are not required, debug is. I have seen one bug report with debug in the last 2 years.

So, overall. The forum bug report section is everything the developers need as long as the user is posting what is required. Sadly, that never happens ...

17 hours ago, Hecki said:

No matter what we do or make, 99% of the reports will get ignored.

If you look at the current section, every single topic is "mybot does not work", "my emulator does not work", "this or that does not work" and then there is absolutely no details or any other requirements posted. Maybe a couple of lines from the bot log windows and that's all.

Wanna know what developers do when they see topic like that? Mark it read and move on, gets ignored. The logs are not required, debug is. I have seen one bug report with debug in the last 2 years.

So, overall. The forum bug report section is everything the developers need as long as the user is posting what is required. Sadly, that never happens ...

Hello, thanks for replying to this topic.

Indeed, what you say it's true. There are two solution to this in my opinion: move these topics to Help & Support (but I suppose that most users will open another topic if they cannot find the one they created earlier) or simply close them as soon as you possible and suggest users either to open a topic on Help & Support or open a proper Bug Report (create a default message for these cases).

Anyway, I'm a developer myself and I know what it means to create a bug ticket and how much it matters to give all the information that are available (check my opened topics from Bug Reports).

The main issue that bothers me is that by having a lot of useless topic there, real bugs also get ignored :( 

What can be done about this then?

Now that v7.7.1 introduced forum login you can expect more and more accounts to be created and automatically more and more topics to be opened.

I can't see another solution than having a well-managed Bug Report section.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this