LunaEclipse

[TUTORIAL] How to upgrade your MOD to latest BOT, in less than 30 mins.

It's good, but i made a program for that, you was able to apply your mod to the latest official release within 2 minutes, Btw usually ppl love hard works

and no one even replied and tried that, so i thought that deserve "hide" thread lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MR.ViPeR said:

It's good, but i made a program for that, you was able to apply your mod to the latest official release within 2 minutes, Btw usually ppl love hard works

and no one even replied and tried that, so i thought that deserve "hide" thread lol

I never said this was the "Best" I said it was an easy way to upgrade MODs with new version updates, and personally I hate auto merging, because it is too easy for it to make mistakes and merge something it shouldn't, or leave out something it should have added, my method, the author gets to decided what is applied and what isn't, this is especially useful when the offical bot modifies code that the MOD has also modified, then the MOD author can see this, and make whatever changes is necessary to their MOD code to accomodate the new official code.

The reason I posted this was that I noticed a lot of the mods in this forum are still 5.2.1, so I offered a tutorial to help authors upgrade in a much easier fashion.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, LunaEclipse said:

I never said this was the "Best" I said it was an easy way to upgrade MODs with new version updates, and personally I hate auto merging, because it is too easy for it to make mistakes and merge something it shouldn't, or leave out something it should have added, my method, the author gets to decided what is applied and what isn't, this is especially useful when the offical bot modifies code that the MOD has also modified, then the MOD author can see this, and make whatever changes is necessary to their MOD code to accomodate the new official code.

The reason I posted this was that I noticed a lot of the mods in this forum are still 5.2.1, so I offered a tutorial to help authors upgrade in a much easier fashion.

Right, btw my program was going to apply the mods with configs and developers was able to edit actions/codes whenever they want,

otherwise it's a great TUT, helpful

Just a clarification, I have updated the tutorial, this is designed for MOD Authors, not users.  Step 6 and 7 require that you know the MOD code very well and can easily identify the difference between MOD code and Official Bot code. 

Also in cases where both the MOD and the official bot have modified the same code, this will mean changes will need to be made to the MOD code to accomodate the new official bot code.  This is not a process for general users.  It is simply to help Authors release new versions to match the Official Bot version faster.

Please do not message me saying, I have merged x's mod with the official bot and now it doesn't work.  I am not going to spend all my time answering questions like this, as this would take away from my other duties as a developer.

MOD users attempting to do this, do so at their own risk.  My suggestion is wait until the author of the MOD does this for you.

Edited by LunaEclipse
  • Upvote 2

Another "tip" to add to this thread for MOD authors:

There is an open source tool called KDiff, you can integrate into Source Tree to help you with complex merge issues!   http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/

Once KDiff is installed, can set your Source Tree options to use KDiff as external DIFF tool. 

Why use external DIFF tool?

Some times when merging new codes, and there are many small changes across broad section of code, Source Tree will replace entire "section" of code. :(

When this happens and the section contains YOUR MOD code, can be hard to figure out exactly what developers changed and how it impacts your MOD.

With KDIFF, you can compare individual files and get more detail on line by line changes between files.  Even down to small changes in spaces/indenting created by using AutoIt tidy function.

Source Tree does an OK job with merge, so really do not need KDiff very often.  But when you do need this kind of tool, it helps a lot. :)

KDiff can also add explorer integration, which allows you to select two files/folder and compare them outside Source Tree. 

Shhh... want to know little secret?

I use KDiff often to help me see what a MOD bot may have changed, simply by extracting it to folder and running folder compare.  Becomes much easier to figure out if MOD code is well written and usable elsewhere.  KDiff has merge capability, but only use it for single files due complexity of reviewing/approving every single file merge (really tedious, let source tree do it!). 

Hope this helps! :D

• Upvote 3